February, 2012San Antonio Sports has announced that George Block, CEO/President of Haven for Hope, is the nonprofit sports commission’s new chairman of its board of directors. It also announced six new members to its board of directors. Block is a founder of the 28-year old organization and will serve a two-year term as chair. “I’ve seen San Antonio Sports grow and change over the years and become known as one of the top sports commissions in the country,” says Block. “It also plays an integral role for our community as an advocate for athletic facilities, getting children active and generating economic impact through sports tourism.” He succeeds Bob Raymond, IKON Office Solutions, who will remain on the board as a member of the executive committee.
New board members include:
· Laura Biemer, San Antonio & Corpus Christi audit manager, Comptroller of Public Accounts,
· Bill Brendel, general manager, Crockett Hotel,
· Scott Daniels, general manager, Pepsi Beverages Company,
· Valorie Jackson, vice president, Texas Capitol Bank,
· Mike Knezeak, operating partner, Flemings Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar,
· Melissa Robledo, vice president of marketing communications, Time Warner Cable.
San Antonio Sports is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform our community through the power of sport. San Antonio Sports bids on and hosts premier sporting events such as NCAA® championships, which have generated a local economic impact of more than $4.1 million. San Antonio Sports youth initiatives, including Dreams for Youth, the Community Olympic Development Program, the Valero Go!Kids Challenge™ and ING Kids Rock marathon training program, annually touch the lives of more than 170,000 children in San Antonio through sports training and fitness programs. Additionally, San Antonio Sports serves as a catalyst for the development of quality recreational and athletic facilities in our community. To learn more, visit SanAntonioSports.org.