OneStar Announces 28th Annual Governor's Volunteer Awards Winners
AUSTIN — OneStar Foundation is proud to announce the winners of the 28th Annual Governor's Volunteer Awards.
The winners are:
- Social Innovator Award: Bridges to Life. The Bridges to Life program has contributed to the decrease in recidivism in Texas. Their graduates show a significantly lower recidivism rate than the average for the nation as well as Texas.
- Corporate Community Impact Award: Applied Materials – Central Texas. Applied Materials has 1,200 employees in Central Texas and a corporate culture that encourages employees to donate time, contribute funds and provide leadership to community-based organizations.
- Community Leadership Award: Little Helping Hands. By fostering community service in early childhood through family volunteering, Little Helping Hands seeks to build a strong foundation within children, ultimately fostering generations of community members committed to service to others.
- First Lady's Rising Star Award: Sam Collins. Mr. Collins created an innovative new program R.E.A.D. for Houston, a nonprofit book donation and distribution portal that collects and distributes thousands of books to inner city shelters, community centers and under privileged youth groups.
- Governor's Lonestar Award: Charles Fletcher. Mr. Fletcher has been a volunteer for 24 years and after retiring 14 years ago, he created SpiritHorse Therapeutic Riding Center in Corinth, Texas which each week provides free therapeutic horseback riding services to over 450 children and adults from ten counties.
"The individuals, organizations and the corporation honored through the 28th Annual Governor's Volunteer Awards have truly gone above and beyond to help their fellow Texans in times of need," said Elizabeth M. Darling, President and CEO of OneStar Foundation. "They are stellar examples of the good that can be found in all of us when we become engaged in solutions to social challenges."
The winners will be honored at a ceremony on September 8, 2011, in Austin with their invited guests and attendees of the 2011 Texas Nonprofit Summit.
About OneStar Foundation: OneStar’s mission is to build a better nonprofit sector for a better Texas, connecting faith-based and community organizations, businesses, government and foundations to create powerful public-private partnerships that drive community solutions. OneStar works to ensure the state nonprofit network has the tools to effectively impact the visible needs and deeper root causes of social challenges in Texas.